Eggs being used for hatching should not be washed, but...(help)

If for some reason you do end up having to wash them, you can use very warm water,then let them air dry before setting them in your bator. I don't normally wash mine, but I recently got a shipment of eggs where several were crushed and had covered the remaining eggs with nasty egg goo. I had no choice but to clean them, so I used the method above and still had a great hatch.

Hope the sand works out for you - that's a great idea and definitely worth a try.

Good luck with your hatch!

Thanks everyone!

Kinda thought it would be warm water and not cool. Have heard that cool water opens the pours of the egg allowing bacteria in. Will try sand first.

Any one else? Told you I would read these.

I have washed my eggs before, because sometimes my hen breaks an egg, then the others are full of egg.
sickbyc.gif

I just use plain warm water, towl drying them. They still hatch alright though.

So, I hope it went okay for you.
wink.png

OK this is going to make me sound like a pig... but... I hatch all my eggs that are too dirty to sell. The really gross ones that have a big blob of poo stuck on them get it scratched off then in the bator they go. If your chickens are healthy then their poo is healthy too. I put it in my garden for my veggies too....

I do clean my 'bator really well and sanatize everything between egg batches but poo doesn't stop hatching around here.

Back
Top Bottom