Eggs but with no shells

Denise Mic

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
I hope someone could help me I have one chicken that is laying eggs but with no shells I'm finding the yolk and the white on the ground but there's no shells I hope someone could help me.

I hope someone could help me I have one chicken that is laying eggs but with no shells I'm finding the yolk and the white on the ground but there's no shells I hope someone could help me.
Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

That's a very common hiccup from the reproductive system coming online in new layers. It doesn't even feel like an eggs coming and is therefore not usually deposited in the nest.

If it's an older or mature layer, then the reason can be very different. Starting with nutrition, does she have a calcium source available? What is her age? Are you able to identify which bird it is?

Mealworms are NOT a good source for calcium and are best used for treats since they are very high fat.

See this article for more egg anomaly stuff..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

With disease effecting almost everything, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

Do you know which hen is doing this? If so, I would give her a human calcium with vitamin D tablet daily for 3 days to see if it helps. Feeding laying feed and having crushed oyster shell available for free taking may help if it is a calcium deficiency. But there can be common reproductive problems that can affect the shell gland. Infectious bronchitis in the past can cause some egg shell problems.

What exactly do you feed her on a daily basis?

I had this happen too with one of my Sapphire Gems. Last evening, she was roosting outside the coop and dropped two eggs, both without shells. She is not quite a year old and has been laying now for a few months. She is the "low man on the totem pole" of my five girls. They do have oyster shell available at all times and I feed them Dumor 16% layer pellets. They also get healthy treats and scratch. I haven't noticed her acting funny or having a bubbly/runny nose so I wouldn't think it's a respiratory issue. Hopefully, it's just a system glitch and she will be ok. When I checked this morning, they all seemed normal.

Back
Top Bottom