Eggs Changing Color

bcmama

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
I have two questions. I have an Easter Egger that has always laid green eggs. Lately she has been alternating between green eggs and gray eggs. One of my other hens (Barred Rock) is laying brown eggs as always but the top of the egg (the pointy part) is wrinkly.

Are these things I should worry about?

Thanks
Christy

Nothing to worry about.

When you have your own chickens, you'll find all sorts of anomalous eggs.

"Funny" eggs show up at the commercial chicken farms, too, but the reason you don't see them in store bought egg cartons is because they are culled out and sold as liquid eggs to bakers.

Color changing is pretty common too. Not a complete color change, just a change in the tint, such as a single hen will sometimes start laying a darker or lighter egg.

Good to know. Looking online I had read about infectious bronchitis causing egg problems, but they don't have any symptoms of that. I didn't know if a disease could go un noticed.

I know that you never see these types of eggs at the grocery, but I was just checking to make sure they are still healthy.

Thanks

I have 6 brown egg layers and their eggs have progressively lightened over the past 2 months and all are now pink, very light brown. There are some studies on line about depigmentation of eggs and they list the causes to be stress or change in diet as the most common causes. For my flock, I did change their feed a few months ago and am sure that's my solution.

The studies I found were directed at brown egg pigment reduction. Guess this would apply to green eggs as well?

Back
Top Bottom