eggs cracking in box

acacia987

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 7, 2013
Baltimore, MD
my hens tend to kick out a lot of the bedding when dropping there eggs. Ever so often this results in a cracked egg. I was thinking of maybe lining the bottom of the nest with some type of cushion below the bedding. I do have a bar (1 in high) in front of the nesting box to prevent it from flying out. the nesting boxes are plywood.

What kind of bedding are you using in the nests....I use flakes of straw that hold together pretty well.

Maybe put a higher front on the nest, like 4", so you can put more bedding in there?

You could put some kind of cushion in there, but then it might be a cleaning issue.
They do sell nest pads which are cleanable.

My suggestions are to put rubber shelf liner in the bottom under the bedding, screw in broads across the bottom entrance to the nest so the bedding can't as easily be kicked out (see pic attached) and put lots of bedding in. (Straw and shavings work best in nests.)

I see that 12x12 quoted all the time--my girls like a bigger space, I guess. I use rubbermaid tubs that can fit 2 birds at a time and they prefer them over the smaller milk crates.

My suggestions are to put rubber shelf liner in the bottom under the bedding, screw in broads across the bottom entrance to the nest so the bedding can't as easily be kicked out (see pic attached) and put lots of bedding in. (Straw and shavings work best in nests.)
I love your nest box decorations! I need to have my boys make up some for my girls :)

I love your nest box decorations! I need to have my boys make up some for my girls
smile.png
Thanks!! This is it decorated this year!;)

Back
Top Bottom