Eggs defective after injury

Hinotori

Silver Feathers
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Graham, WA
I had four girls survive a dog attack 3+ weeks ago. Two resumed laying normal eggs. One is still pretty injured and not laying yet, but growing feathers and skin. The last one is the one that I'm wondering about.

She's been laying eggs with lots of the rough pimple patches on them, and a few sort of wrinkle checks on the fat end. All of them have been strong shells other than looking odd. She laid normal eggs before the attack. They get Flockraiser with oystershell and grit free choice along with a little seed mix for scratch and some grass. All are in good health other than healing. No sneezing, very alert and vocal about wanting out of the pen and with their sisters.

I'm thinking something may have been injured internally. Is this dangerous for her? Or is it likely to just be a cosmetic effect for her eggs from now on?

Yeah, I get them occasionally from any of the girls. The 6 eggs this girl has laid since recovery have all been like this, which is kind of odd. She hasn't acted weird, and for eggs for us it doesn't matter.

Hi, I am new here and have a question. My hen was attacked by our dog several weeks ago. He pulled out the feathers on her back, it looked, well not so pretty, to put it mildly. We have been keeping her in our house in a coop to recuperate. Today she laid the first egg since her injury and it had a worm in it. It sure looks like a worm and has the same consistency as one. It's about an inch to an inch and a quarter long. Have any of you had this happen or know what it could be? Her injury is doing well, we've been spraying an antibiotic spray on her that we use on our horses and it is working well. She eats grain and we catch bugs, yes I know it's crazy, but what ever bugs we can catch we give them to her.

Thanks for your help, I'm baffled over this.

it's just a little extra shell. even eggs from the store can have it, though they are screened for looks ;) No big deal.

Back
Top Bottom