Eggs Freezing...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SarahF, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

My DH and I both work all day and he's worried that the eggs might "go bad" if they get too cold. Is that true? I can't believe him, he doesnt know anything about chickens, I think his grandmother told him that, and I dont trust anything she says. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What will happen if they get too cold is they'll freeze and crack.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If mine are cracked, I toss them. If they are not, they get eaten or go for sale.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    how cold does it have to be before they freeze? (I assume it should be colder than the freezing point of water, but what?)

and how long does it take - for instance, if it is -18 C (=0 F) about how long do I have to collect the eggs?

glad this topic came up because I've been wondering what to expect,

Pat

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't know exactly how long it takes....when it's below freezing here I try and check around noon and then in the evening when I shut the door for the night.

6. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    We haven't been getting any eggs for about a month. We went away on Thanksgiving morning and came back late Firday night. When I went to let the chickens out Sat. morning I found an egg! It has been getting down in the mid twenties here at night. I don't know when the egg was laid. It sure felt ice cold when I took it out of the nest. I set it aside for now as I have been sick. If it was frozen can I still use it? It wasn't cracked. I've gotten two more eggs this week and both have been cold as they have been laid in the evening and so I don't find them until morning.

Monica

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I do like Terrielacy...If they're cracked they get tossed, if not we eat them.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Ducks eggs are way to good to go to waste just because it got a little cold out. [​IMG]

9. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I have eaten eggs that were frozen and cracked, I let them thow out then fry em and eat em.

I have had geese lay eggs in Jan and Feb when the temps were going below O and every egg hatched. Thanks......ed

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    LOTS of nest bedding will help insulate the eggs. My old coop I went 10 hours at - 18 celcius without freezing eggs. You have to remember that inside coop temp is always higher than outdoor and no major air flow to help chill them fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by