Eggs from hens on tetracyclin

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GBandB, Sep 30, 2013.

1. GBandB

GBandB New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    If a hen is on tetracycline, are her eggs any good for incubating?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Would you mind if I ask why your hens are on Tetracycline? Since they are getting an antibiotic, I'm assuming they are sick? I would not recommend incubating eggs from sick hens. The withdrawal for Tetracycline is only 5 days. Rather toss the eggs and wait before incubating any eggs from them until you know they are healthy and "clean". Don't feed the eggs back to your chickens, they will contain tetracycline residue and you'll be extending the withdrawal period and helping the disease become more resistant to the tetracycline.

To answer your question: I have searched for info on incubating eggs from hens on medication, mostly after deworming, and the few results and little info I found was grim. I cannot say specifically which medicines will have a negative effect and if any are safe to use in breeder flocks, without the residues harming the developing embryos, so I'd recommend the old "rather safe than sorry" route here. I know it's hard to toss a perfectly good looking egg, but it's only for a few days.

3. GBandB

GBandB New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    I was just wondering. I put my entire group of Porcelain Silkies on the med because one of them had the greens and It seemed such a waste to toss their eggs....but....I certainly do not want to hatch if there is even the slightest chance of an issue in any way. Never had to give meds to any of my birds, so this is a new experience for me.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by