Eggs getting eaten ... rats?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by acipolone, Jul 27, 2010.

1. acipolone

acipolone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Hammond, LA
    We're having some rat problems -- nothing big, just an occasional one now and again -- and they're eating our main layer's eggs. We were hoping to let her lay her own clutch (she's pretty broody), but we keep finding the eggs dragged out of the crate, pushed in, and completely empty.

Any ideas on ways to keep out the rats? I was thinking maybe getting a couple of geese, since their territorial attitude might get them chase away the rats, but we live in a residential area, so I'm afraid of the noise from them.

Any other suggestions? We have dogs, but none that we could really keep out there with the ducks in the pen.

We're also having some problems with the little neighborhood sparrows eating the duck food, but that's a whole other problem ...

Thanks!

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Get a kitten, raise it with the chickens. One of our cats has taken to the chickens and doesn't bother them at all, but will kill mice, voles, rats, chase coons, rabbits, and wild birds.

You could also try rat traps away from your chickens. Some places sell devices which emit a tone to keep away rodents, but I imagine this might drive your dogs nuts! Maybe predator urine? I know many garden supply places sell it for keeping pests away.

3. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    get some snap traps just put them where your birds wont step in em problem solved . geese wont work the rats work mainly at dark

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Don't be surprised.......my ducks ate a few of their own first time around. I think it's a learning curve. They kicked them around, I kept putting them together.... until my hen went broody (you can tell when she becomes a witch). Then she made a nest and gathered them together and none were eaten.

5. acipolone

Apr 5, 2010
    Hammond, LA
    Mrs. Ducky had been broody before -- actually, she had about 15 eggs, then just decided a few weeks in that she was done with them and left them. I really think this is pests. My dog is way to interested in that area for it to not be rats.

I'm going to give the snap traps a try. And too bad about the goose not really working -- I was kind of looking forward to having a reason to get a couple! Haha.

Thanks for the tips!

6. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    you could always get the geese in the hopes that they MIGHT work. [​IMG]

7. acipolone

Apr 5, 2010
    Hammond, LA
    Brilliant idea!

Now just need to find someone around New Orleans with some geese for sale ...

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I use snap traps with a milk crate thrown over the top of them. Mice, rats and chipmunks can get in, but my birds and dogs can't. Just be aware that if your problem is chipmunks (I thought I had rats and turns out I had chipmunks) the trap will need to sit undisturbed for a few days before they will check it out. Be patient and you'll get them.

Good luck.

9. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well - Im having the same problem. Stinkin Rats. My geese are just now old enough to egt their honks, and before they really didnt care - but since they have turned 3 months I havent found but the ocasional egg shell. It used to be 2-3 eggs everyday were found in the yard all crushed and broken, but i havent had any more theives it seems since the geese started maturing slighty - so good luck!

Now the fat little rats are feasting on the corn i put out... grrr...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by