1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs Good?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ebal, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Ebal

Ebal Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2013
    Georgia
    So my 8 hens appeared to be tapering off on egg production with shorter cooler days.... Went from 6-7 per day to 2-3..... Cut surprise.... I found a new nesting spot outside of my coop/run. The free range most of the day... Anyway, 18 eggs were in this spot when I found it.

Have hens only; eggs are no fertile... Temps have been freezing at night 50's most days. In a darker shaded area. I think they will be fine. Any other opinions? Probably the oldest were 4-5 days old when I collected them.

Also, I keep my eggs unwashed and on the counter. Normally 12 - 18 in a basket ant any given time and I use first in first out... somewhat... How long do you feel comfortable having them un fridged... If I gat a nasty, I wash and fridge and use quickly.

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They're probably fine. I would use them first for baking.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I used to find nests all the time when my birds free ranged. I'd just float test them and use them. I very, very rarely had eggs be bad, especially in winter. I'd also leave mine on the counter, but as we heat with wood my kitchen is on the cooler side. I've had eggs out for a good month or so and no one's died yet.

4. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013

Wow question why are they left on your counter and not put right in to the fridge

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Because unwashed eggs really don't need to be refrigerated...read up on it.

advanced search>titles only>refrigerating eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by