Eggs--Happy dance!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eluria, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Eluria

Eluria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    I haven't posted in a while--these are our four girls, all grown up (hatch date was August 25). Two Welshies (Ivy and Harley), a Cayuga (Luna), and a Blue Swedish (Erin).

[​IMG]

A few weeks ago, I was thinking that they were 5 months old, but wasn't holding out hope for eggs till the days got longer. Lo and behold, the very next day:

[​IMG]

Better yet, we continued to get an egg every day! By Sunday we had seven eggs, which was enough for a nice family breakfast:

[​IMG]
    A few days ago, we started getting two eggs per day, and today we were up to three :) I suspect the Cayuga is the holdout, because all the eggs are white so far and from what I understand, Cayuga eggs are darker (but someone correct me please if that is not the case).

Anyone have tips for washing and storing the eggs? So far I have left them on the counter unwashed, but at some point I know I will need to wash and refrigerate them once they are laying more per week than we can eat.

[​IMG]
    (Oh, and they "knock" on the sliding door too lol...)

1 person likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The ag expert in our state told me don't wash duck eggs. Wipe them off with a dry cloth, but don't wash them until immediately before using them. He said that the water can carry bacteria through the shell.

I don't want mine, and I store them in a cool place but not refrigerated, if I have more than a dozen. I do keep a dozen in the frij just to be handy. Once they are refrigerated, I keep them that way. The logic is that if I set cooled eggs out, they will get moist and that goes back to what I was told about moisture speeding up the movement of bacteria through the shell.

I know there are different ways people handle eggs, but this has worked well for us for five years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by