Eggs hatching, need help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by awalters0815, May 10, 2012.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    The eggs under my broody hen have started hatching. three hatched today, a day early. Should I leave the chicks with mama until the others hatch, or should I take them to food and water? Also, they are in an elevated nest. Should I move them to the floor?

2. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chirping

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    Can you put a small waterer and feeder in her nest? I wouldn't want to disturb the unhatched eggs. But if you feel the little ones are at risk for falling, move them someplace safe where mama can watch over them, and give her food and water really close so she can take care of herself.

We found some newly hatched babies with their mama last spring, and we moved them all inside a room where the chicks could not get out, but she could still protect them. And they were inside where hawks couldn't get them.

I don't know, I wouldn't want the mama to abandon the unhatched eggs because you moved them, but she will likely stick near those chicks like glue, if you do move them all.

3. awalters0815

awalters0815 Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Will the chicks be okay with out food and water for 24 hours or so?

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yes, they won't need food or water for about 3 days. They're getting nourishment from the yolk they absorbed. Keep all the chicks with Mom until they all hatch.
    You could move mom and babies, unhatched eggs in a secure place on the floor, or just put a screen over the elevated nest.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  5. awalters0815

awalters0815 Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Awesome. that makes me feel a lot better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: