Eggs hatching-when to take chicks out??

Actually i have a question. .. I'm using an auto egg turner and don't know if a newly hatched chick can lay on it? ! I know im not supposed to touch them till they have died and fluffed so what do i do about that? ?
Not sure what you are asking? It sounds like you left the auto turner in durung hatch? I hope it's at least turned off?

Last edited:
well I just started the eggs today and will be turning it off the auto turner 3 days prior to them hatching but I do not know if I am supposed to remove the turner from incubator before expected hatching?

well I just started the eggs today and will be turning it off the auto turner 3 days prior to them hatching but I do not know if I am supposed to remove the turner from incubator before expected hatching?
Yes, most people take the auto turner right out and most bators with the turners have a screen to put in the bottom. What kind of bator do you have?

4 out of 5 chicks. Is it bad one tiny bantam is piping from the middle of the egg, has been like this since yesterday evening and 4 chickies are giving it a good roll around the bator?

4 out of 5 chicks. Is it bad one tiny bantam is piping from the middle of the egg, has been like this since yesterday evening and 4 chickies are giving it a good roll around the bator?
There's nothing you can do to change the location of a pip. How's your humidity? If it's high enough, you can lift the lid long enough to snatch the others out, or you can put the remaining egglet in a container so the others can't use it as a hockey puck.

There's nothing you can do to change the location of a pip. How's your humidity? If it's high enough, you can lift the lid long enough to snatch the others out, or you can put the remaining egglet in a container so the others can't use it as a hockey puck.
Lol hockey puck..

Humidty is great! I got the others out and put more water in to higher the humidty back up ;)

He's ill postioned, trying to push out but can't..

Can you see his beak? If he hasn't made progress by mid to late afternoon, you can enlarge his pip a bit, and take a look around to see what you see. Before you touch him, do a thread search on assisted hatching. Some folks say that assisting with hatch goes against the "survival of the fittest" and breeding for a strong flock rationale. So, it depends on what your paradigm is. IMO, by choosing to artificially hatch, we're setting up a hatch that may not have the best of conditions. So, I will assist when it's evident that not to do so will result in a dead chick.

Actually i have a question. .. I'm using an auto egg turner and don't know if a newly hatched chick can lay on it? ! I know im not supposed to touch them till they have died and fluffed so what do i do about that? ?

Since you don't need to turn eggs in the last three days, I take the turner out on day 18 and lay the eggs on the screen with cheese cloth or something similar so the turner isn't in the way during hatching. Also leave them until the look dry and fluffy. Some say wait until they all hatch I take them the ready ones out periodically. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom