Eggs have changed to real pale color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fordmommy, Jan 20, 2010.

1. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I was wondering why exactly my girls' egg color has gone so pale all of a sudden.

On Thurday we had a dog masacre in our coop and everyone is still kinda frazzled. I know I am. But could that be the reason behide the pale eggs????My RSL is the most noticable. I went from a real light brown to almost white.

And what exactly makes the color lighter? And will get go back to being the shades they were? And if so when?

I should also say that I have not changed they diet or anything else. The only change is half the flock is missing.

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    sometimes mine lay a very light brown egg.. i found if you rinse it, it was just alot of bloom on it.. almost turns it into a pink egg.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Coming to the end of their laying cycle. They get pale.

4. fordmommy

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I wash my eggs so I know it's not that.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. You've seen the eggs I got today right? That's about as light as mine go. They'll start over with a new cycle and they'll go back to dark brown.

6. fordmommy

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thanks everyone. I was beginning to think it was the stress.

7. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    From one chicken that was laying dark brown eggs (Barred Rock) she starting laying thin shelled, white eggs, and now they are thick shelled, whiteish light brown eggs. I first suspected a new layer, but I've caught her now several times.

She's been doing it for nearly a month, so I don't think it's the end of her cycle. She's also young, and just started laying in Nov. Her eggs look like a pregnant gal's tummy...they have a bump! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by