eggs hot to the touch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i just went and turned my eggs, and they were hot to the touch. they are in a still air bator, the temp has been steady around 100F, and the thermometer is correct. humidity has been wacky since they went in, but is currently around 50%. should they be so hot when i touch them? they feel like they are burning (not that hot, but they are pretty hot). today is day one.

edited because my spelling and grammar was just horrible.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Try using an infrared thermometer on them. Maybe your therm is a bit off. Maybe your skin temp was a bit low, and they seemed hot by comparison.

3. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:my hands are normally a bit cold...even though they feel normal to me, people touch them and are shocked. its probably just my hands. lol

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    They should feel warm, not hot. Run some hot water from the tap until you get it at the same temp as what the temp in the bator is. Them take a face cloth and dip it in the water, see if they feel the same. If not there is something wrong. Of you could just hold a hen by the bottom and see if the temps are the same. They should be close.

5. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:i'll turn the light down a bit. but also, the room they are in is quite cold. its about 50-60 down there, so maybe its just the difference that makes them feel hot.

6. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    They do feel pretty hot, like a feverish kids forhead. If you use a still air bator, feel the eggs that are right on the edge, or in the corners, Usually they are not warm enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by