Eggs in cold weather..

supernatural656

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2022
The temp is supposed to be below freezing this week and my hen has 13 eggs. She isn’t sitting on them yet so I don’t know what to do. Is there something I can do to help? I don’t want the eggs to go bad…

Hi there, we need more details.
Has she sat on them at all? How long has she been broody? Is she in the roost?
She hasn’t sat in them at all. She is a free range game hen. She comes and lays an egg everyday in a little nesting box and then runs off again. I’m just worried she won’t go broody before the cold front comes in.

She hasn’t sat in them at all. She is a free range game hen. She comes and lays an egg everyday in a little nesting box and then runs off again. I’m just worried she won’t go broody before the cold front comes in.
She's not going to go broody just because there are eggs, it's a hormone thing. Shes not making a nest, just laying eggs. It could be weeks or months before she goes broody. You might as was well throw out or eat the eggs.
If you know there's a rooster, you can get an incubator.

She's not going to go broody just because there are eggs, it's a hormone thing. Shes not making a nest, just laying eggs. It could be weeks or months before she goes broody. You might as was well throw out or eat the eggs.
If you know there's a rooster, you can get an incubator.
There is a rooster. I may go ahead and gather them for the incubator today.

Back
Top Bottom