EGGS IN FEBUARY

Ducks-love-me

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 30, 2013
My ducks laid an egg today. I went over and it was frozen. why are they laying when it's so cold and how can I keep the eggs from freezing? I am worried. the first egg they ever had I let it freeze. I feel like its all my fault :(

Hi,

They will just lay even if it is snowing :/. You'd have to get the egg as soon as it came out. Don't worry, it's not your fault it happens to us too ;).

HS Pye

Are your ducks laying inside a coop? Mine have taken the short days off and haven't started up again. When they lay in freezing weather I keep them inside until I am sure most of them have laid, which is usually just after daylight. I then let them out and gather the eggs. Occasionally one will wait until she gets outside. If I get it before it is frozen I keep it, otherwise I get rid of it unless I am going to use it immediately. If they lay any in the pond I just fish them out with a potato hook.

Good luck and keep us posted!
caf.gif

If they are cracked I usually feed them to the dogs. Otherwise frozen eggs are just fine to let thaw and cook and eat.

Okay thank you! :) also can you feed duck eggs to ducks bc I heard someone say that. Would that be like a cannibal or do they enjoy eggs.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom