1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs in heat

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmama2014, Aug 19, 2016.

1. chickmama2014

chickmama2014 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Forgetful me forgot my eggs on top of the chicken run from night before last so they were in the sun and heat in the morning yesterday. Will they still be ok to eat?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What was the temp? Do you have a rooster? I'd assume them to be ok, until they prove themselves to NOT be ok. Crack them into a plate or bowl, give a visual and smell test before committing them to the frying pan. A hen will lay a whole clutch of eggs before she incubates. Granted, they are usually in a shaded ground nest, but... still... eggs were designed for a long shelf life under not so great conditions.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I left mine setting on the wire on top of the run earlier this week. For 2 days, in full sun, triple digit temps, in plain sight. Finally one of The Locusts asked if I was trying to cook them by solar power...[​IMG].

Brought them in and made cookies this morning [​IMG]. They're just fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

5. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    During the week I can't collect eggs until I get home from work around 4:30 or so. Our daytime high's are always over 100 during the summer and some days it gets up past 115. My nest boxes are built into the coop and I can access from outside via a swing-open hatch, so they are in the shade but the temperature inside the coop during the afternoon is often 105-110. I've never had a bad egg yet - they all taste great; the same as eggs from any other time of the year. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

1 person likes this.
  6. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    My nest boxes are on the east side of the coop, so avoid the midday and afternoon sun. And my coop is under a shade tree.
    If you have a mobile coop, rotate it so the nest boxes face east.
    Also in winter with no leaves on the trees the morning sun will warm the nest boxes. As my hens lay their eggs before 10am most of the time. GC

1 person likes this.
  7. chickmama2014

Apr 14, 2014
    Awesome! I hate to be wasteful. Thank you!

8. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Basic bird biology: hens lay an egg a day for 8-15 days before they set. So of course an egg that sits a day or two is just fine. Actually you can leave them on the counter unwashed for a week at room temp before you really need to put them in the fridge.

1 person likes this.
  9. chickmama2014

Apr 14, 2014
    It was 85 out that day. No rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by