Eggs in incubator and osmosis

CGilbert

Songster
8 Years
Aug 2, 2015
Spokane, WA
So, I've always been told to keep my incubator clean, and I completely agree that's a good idea if you want a good hatch rate. But I was wondering, based on the same philosophy, what if we put nutri-drench in the water for the humidity. Would that absorb into the eggs? Would it help if it did?

Random wonderings

(editted to correct spelling)

Last edited:
You sound a lot like my wife. She can’t walk past a dial without turning it, a switch without flipping it, a button without pushing it. Perfect is never good enough. I love her dearly but sometimes……..

Nature has made the perfect food for the growing chick and placed it inside the egg. It is the perfect balance and amounts of nutrients the chick needs to grow at the right rate and to the right size. I don’t know if anything in that nutria-drench would find its way into the egg through the vapor. If it did and affected the growth of the chick it’s quite possible the chick’s growth rate would not match the hatching calendar. The chick might get so big it can’t move inside the shell to position itself to hatch. I don’t think anything would be absorbed from the vapor that would affect the chick inside the porous shell but I don’t know for sure one way or the other.

I don’t know if nutria-drench has anything in it that would provide food for microbes to grow in the water in the incubator. Incubation temperature is perfect for some microbes to really thrive. If nutria-drench has any food in it that microbes could feed on, your incubator could become a stinking mess that could infect the eggs.

There are a lot of “if’s” here and a lot I don’t know. It’s your incubation, you can try anything you wish. It might work out great. But you won’t catch me doing anything like that.

No. The vitamins will denature in the heat. The water will evaporate and the minerals and sugars will be coated on the sides of the water reservoir. Hard water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom