Eggs In My Pockets... PIC Added

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Birch Run Farm, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Sadly a broody gave up her clutch over the weekend and these eggs were very close to hatching. Ironically I was processing broilers and was very busy so I gathered the four eggs and put them in my pants pockets (sweat pants). I switched the incubator on to let it warm up but had no idea if the eggs were still live. They were cold when I collected them.

I carried the eggs around most of the day then left them in the incubator.

This morning there was peeping. One of four has hatched, a nice dark colored chick. Hopefully more, these are true araucana. The hatchling seemed strong and has making happy noises and wanted me to stay but I had to go to work.

Added:

[​IMG]

Well, it looks like this one is going to be a lone ranger. The other eggs are quiet. It's cute as a button though, seems to like sitting in the food dish.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thats amazing! Post pics if you can. Great job!

3. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Wow!!! That is wonderful!!! Keep us updated!

4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Yeah, I am surprised! I hope the chick is still peeping when I get home. Tough little guy or girl I hope. Pics as soon as possible. I sure hope this isn't a lone ranger chick, it will need a buddy. I have 50 chicks coming next month too.

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Congratulations, that's very cool ~ er, I mean WARM!

Would that make you a broody hen? [​IMG]

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I would love to see pics.[​IMG] Here is hoping the one survives and the other three hatch as well. Congrats on your baby!
    PS I loved the title for this thread, it definitely had me wondering what the story was![​IMG]

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Yay!!! I hope the others hatch out as well!! I can't wait to see pic's.

8. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    Hey everyone! I have a question fer ya! I want more chicks. Should I buy 3-4 day olds or hatch them myself? I'm just worried about how small they will be come November. Which is when the cold will be a concern. I have a place to keep them warm & out of the wind. And I really want to video tape some being hatched. Opinions please!

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:You would probably get more responses if you start your own thread [​IMG]

Birch Run Farm- would love to see pics [​IMG]

10. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Pic added, chick still has a lot of dried egg goo stick to the fluff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by