Eggs just hatched, what’s next?

AlaskaBookworm

Chirping
Aug 10, 2019
So we gave one of our broody hens 5 eggs to hatch, today we got our first one hatched! Once they’re all hatched and fluffy, do we need to separate mama and babies from the rest of the flock? Or will they be fine on their own? They have an outside area where they are most of the time and the mama and babies are in the inside area. The flock is inside with them at night, I’m just worried about the flock being aggressive or attacking the babies. Where do we go from here?

Attachments

• 59A916AB-806F-4FCC-92E6-9C0BFFE20A75.jpeg
    59A916AB-806F-4FCC-92E6-9C0BFFE20A75.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 34
So we gave one of our broody hens 5 eggs to hatch, today we got our first one hatched! Once they’re all hatched and fluffy, do we need to separate mama and babies from the rest of the flock? Or will they be fine on their own? They have an outside area where they are most of the time and the mama and babies are in the inside area. The flock is inside with them at night, I’m just worried about the flock being aggressive or attacking the babies. Where do we go from here?
you can leave them together if you want. when i had this situation, we had a milk crate and covered it with mesh, then we left opens to where the chicks can run and hide and get food and water.

I put mama and babies in a cage together so they can get chick starter rather than the flock raiser that everyone else gets.

The cage is raised above ground.

Sadly, I lost a couple of three-week-olds when I let them be free (with Mom) on a sunny day that turned into four days of downpours and rainstorms.

Lesson Learned: In humid climates or during rainy season or winter, keep Mom and babies together for longer than you think necessary, given their independance.

Thanks for all the replies! We figured it out and kept them in the indoor coop with some fencing around, big enough the chicks can explore and run through the fence but other hens stay out. All five eggs hatched, and we’ve got great and fluffy little babies!

Attachments

• EB055F05-608C-4F0F-ACF9-1BA8478B0C62.png
    EB055F05-608C-4F0F-ACF9-1BA8478B0C62.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom