1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs laid-HELP!!pleasee

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Naz3, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Naz3

Naz3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Hi,im very new at this- I have a hen and a rooster which i raised from chicks. The hen has just laid 2 eggs and i have no idea what happens now..please help!!
    She is not sitting on the eggs at night..is this normal?
    Thanks for any help!

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

She's not broody... ie. She isn't in the mood to incubate them, so consider the eggs a gift for you! [​IMG]

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Usually a hen won't start going broody until she has a few more eggs under her. Either wait for her to accumulate more, or you can trick her by adding some fake eggs.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's time for making an omlet! They are perfectally good to eat and won't really be big enough yet to hatch out well if you wanted more chickens.

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    if she has just started laying.then she isnt broody.she is just roosting in the nest.so id cook the eggs an eat them.

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Your hen is young, give her time. She will know when it is time to brood. I would wait about a month to see if she starts brooding. You don't want to waste the eggs, so eat them. But in a couple of weeks put a fake egg (plastic easter egg ot even a golf ball) in the nest. Then when you try to collect the eggs and she is setting, she will give you a little peck to tell you it is time. From there on out she will do all the work. DO NOT disturb her. In three weeks you will have chicks.

7. Naz3

Naz3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    thank you all soooo much for your advice!i will follow it and hopefully learn!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by