eggs laid in wrong place

First of all, the nest boxes have to be inviting. Privacy, just enough room, not too much, and something on the floor that feels good to the hen. I use nest mats, they're plastic like a 'grass' rug mat, 12" x 13". There should be about 1 nest per 3 hens.

Second, when you hear a hen beginning to 'egg complain', go out, pick her up, and place her in a nest. Hold her down for about 20 seconds, then let her up. She'll leave, but at least you showed her where to lay! You can do this many times with as many hens as you want - it's a training technique that I've always used, and my eggs always end up in the nests. Even when they're free-ranging all day.

That's my 'Nana' two cents worth - hope it helps you!
smile.png

I have only 7 chickens, about 4 months old, and only one that I'm sure has started laying eggs and that happened just this past week. The last two mornings I have gone out to let my girls outside and each morning there is a broken egg under their roost. It appears that one of them is laying an egg as she sits on the roost and it falls to the floor and breaks. How do I stop that??

Quote:
what does the egg look like? Is it soft shelled? If so that is the "trial egg" so to say...they at times don't know they are laying an egg...I watched one of mine the other night, stop eating, looked up and out popped her soft shelled egg! Funny!

Keep an eye under the roost, you should only be seeing the soft ones, once they "know" they are laying they will find either the nest box, or a hidden spot. If it is a real egg, see if you can catch her and place her in the box

Back
Top Bottom