Eggs laid on the ground in the woods. Keep or toss??

Klinsley

Chirping
May 24, 2020
I finally found my girls hiding spot. There is a total of 32 eggs here! They are in a pile of nasty wet leaves under a thorn bush. So my question is 1. Do I throw them away? (That's my first instinct) 2. How can I keep them from going back to that spot?

Attachments

• 20210115_092145.jpg
    20210115_092145.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210115_092625.jpg
    20210115_092625.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 3
So how long do u think they have been laying there. You can take a guess by how many hens you have and how many eggs you get in the coop. How old are your girls.

Are they free range all the time? I would keep them in the coop run for a while with fake eggs in the nest boxes. That way they learn where to lay their eggs.

Imo I would probably toss if I wasn't sure on the age of those eggs.

I would keep them in the coop run for a while with fake eggs in the nest boxes. That way they learn where to lay their eggs.
Yep, lock em up!
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I would not eat eggs that had been wet in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom