Eggs look like they're growing a bit too fast...

jettgirl24

Songster
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Duvall, WA
Hi All,

I candled my eggs today and compared them to the pictures in the sticky. It looks like 11 out of 12 are fertile and developing!!! Hopefully that's really the case!

However, I had some issues with my LG bator's temp early on and it was running one or two degrees hot off an on. At day 10 my eggs look more like the day 11 or 12 pictures. I tried to take a picture with my camera but I couldn't get them to turn out in the dark. Is this early development okay or is there something I can do to slow them down a bit? If they are likely to hatch a little early is there anything I should be prepared for at hatch time?

HOw high is your humidity? that can make the chicks grow too fast too and at hatch it is hard for the large chick to manuever around to zip
that's one possiblity about why they are looking larger

My humidity has actually been right on at about 40 - 45%. I usually add a small amount water when it gets down to 30 - 35%. The highest I've seen it is 53% but that was only for a short period of time. The eggs are dark so it's a little hard to see on some of them but the egg sacks look the right size as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the advice! Once I got the bator temp under control I was running it at about 101 degrees as suggested for a still air in everything I read. I adjusted slightly tonight and it's evening out at about 99.5. Does that sound ok or should I run it even a little lower?

I have a still air incubator and i run my temp around 99.5 to 100.4 and so far i've had 100% hatches knock on wood. Good luck to ya!!!!

Back
Top Bottom