Eggs not developing - please help me figure out what's wrong

Pics
I talked to the previous owner of the rooster and he said he is fertile as they were taking samples of the rooster's sperm. So infertility is not an issue. He said however that it's pretty weird that I am not seeing any mating activity - that by this time, there should definitely be some. He offered me one of his roosters for free, he still has about 3-4 young ones from last year that are already mating apparently. I don't really like to do it (I like the rooster), but I guess that will be my best chance. I will still wake up early tomorrow to check just to be sure, but I've already put an ad on FB for this rooster and as soon as he finds a new home, I will get the young rooster. Either way, even if he is mating with the hens, that means they might be rejecting his sperm meaning I will still have to get a different rooster. I don't know if it would be worth giving him more time or not. I watched them this morning and they are getting along well, just when I pour new feed into the feeder, he is chasing the hens away...
I think I now know why my rooster hasn't been mating my hens.He has bumble foot.

Thank you very much for all your replies and suggestions and for sharing your experience. The conclusion to this epic journey is that I just gave up. Completely. I had a visit from my neighbor in the morning today, asking me if I can get rid of the rooster as he can't sleep. It was surprisingly right after I put out ads online to find the rooster a new home, so the timing was ideal. What that did however is for me to lose motivation to try another rooster. There are just too many things that can go wrong and many things have already been against me, which in my mind are just signs not to pursue this path. And having pressure from my neighbors on top of that... I just give up. I will sell the incubators and move on. It was a nice dream to hatch chicks, but I will just rescue more battery hens in about two months and give them a chance for a new life, just like I did two years ago. It's painful for me when they get sick and die, but seeing them enjoy freedom and life (even if sometimes just for a little while) is worth that sacrifice. Thank you for supporting me on this journey and I wish you all the best.

Exactly my thoughts - that's why I mentioned my incubation attempt from 2 years ago that was very very far from ideal in terms of preparation and setting - and the eggs were developing regardless.

I haven't seen the rooster mate with the hens to this day, but then again, I am not watching my hens 24 hours a day, so what do I know. But I have not seen a single instance of them mating.

I really thought the shape of the germinal spot is bulletproof. I am looking at pictures online and all of the fertile ones look exactly like mine... They are supposed to be much larger than infertile and resemble a bullseye.

I could always get other fertile eggs from a local supplier, but that's not my intention. These hens are close to my heart and would really like to hatch their chicks - that's why I got the rooster in the first place. So I don't want to give up really, but at the same time, I don't know what to do... And I don't want to blindly keep trying and keep throwing out eggs...
I had the same issue for awhile. Come to find out, the reason none of my eggs were fertilized was due to my rooster. He was a year old and I NEVER saw him mounting a hen. I thought at that age he knew his job responsibilities. Apparently not. Lol. I started watching very close and nothing. Seven hens and I couldn't hatch any eggs. I also have a very nice incubator and had humidity and temp just right. I switched out the rooster from a different pen I have and boom. He was one busy rooster. I put 12 eggs in incubator and 10 hatched out. I have since switched the roosters back and the original rooster does mount the hens now, but I'm wondering if he's infertile or something. Is that even possible for a rooster?? Lol I haven't been able to hatch any more eggs even tho they appear to be fertilized. I was really stumped for awhile as to why I wasn't getting chicks but after finding out the hens are not the problem it really helped. Can you borrow a rooster from a neighbor by chance?? 😂 Or maybe post some "how to" pictures inside the chicken house for the rooster. OK nevermind they'd probably just eat them. Hahaha
I feel for ya... I was really frustrated and confused. I now know I have one rooster who is a "sure thing" but I can't keep them all together bcuz he tries to kill the younger one. Both roosters have their own harem but some eggs are just for selling and eating unfortunately. I will be replacing the younger rooster in the future and see if it makes a difference but definitely strange.

This is just a thought, but should you be wrapping in plastic wrap? Is it possible that the fertilized zygote is suffocating? I don't think the eggs should be wrapped-- especially in something that blocks oxygen like plastic wrap.
I've actually never heard of that either, and quite honestly I would never do that with my own. Possibly DavidReaves is correct? But what do I know as I'm still learning. Lol

Back
Top Bottom