eggs not hatching...how to substitute live chicks ?

beameuplord

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 8, 2007
My little silkie, Thelma Lou, has been setting over 4 weeks now and I have been trying to locate someone with fertile eggs. My best friend had an English Banty with 9 eggs but none were fertile. darn ! It breaks my heart that she isn't a momma yet. Such a faithful little brooder and nothing to show for it. We have decided to order some live chicks but how do I introduce the dibs to mom? Will she automatically take to them and get off the nest? I can't wait to give her a family.

Any ideas about the best way to do this? Thanks !

TJ

THis is what I have done in the past, when shes deep asleep at night, pop all the chicks she can handle under her and take away the eggs. In the morning her brain will be rest and hopefully she takes the chiks as hers since she has been sitting for at least 3 weeks. Don't worry if she doesnt' get off the nest right away, it will be a day or two before she takes the chicks exploring.

In the past I have just slipped the chicks under a hen at night. Last month I slipped a dozen ducklings under my goose that had been sitting on infertile eggs. In that case, I did it during the day because I wanted to be sure that she wouldnt crush them. I just reached into the nest and pushed the ducklings up under her wings, and kept putting them back there every time they came out until they got the idea. She hissed a me, but not at the ducklings. The next day, I put the other 8 in with her and started pulling eggs out from under her. I swear that at one point she was trying to figure out how she got 12 babies from 4 eggs. LOL.

chel

I also just put chicks under my bantam hen Belle. I did it at 10:00 pm. My hen had been sitting 4 weeks total also. Slip babies under take eggs out. Hopefully by morning they will be one happy family. Mine are doing well. Also I could only find week old chicks at feed store and it still worked ok. Good luck. Always be prepared to brood them yourself if she rejects them.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. Chicks should be her Fri. I couldn't get silkies until June 9. So I ordered golden lace cochins. I'll try to slip them under her at night, but she made her nest way back in the corner of a cage on the floor of my bunny shed. Guess I'll be crawling on my belly if I'm going to sneak babies under her. Wish me luck. If she rejects them, I'll be happy to play momma.

TJ

Back
Top Bottom