eggs not pipping yet?

angela hernandez

Songster
Jun 8, 2019
Texas
today is day 20 of the eggs my speckled sussex hen has been sitting on. shes been a very patient momma even in this hot weather we have been getting. she’s currently sitting on 8-10 eggs i’m not sure how many exactly. i’ve never incubated eggs in an incubator nor using a broody hen. and from what i’ve learned the chicks should’ve been pipping by now. i candled an egg this morning and the chick is moving around inside looking just fine. the air cell takes up about 1/4th of the egg. is it possible they aren’t on day 20? should i start getting worried?
i added a picture below of the egg i was able to candle.

Attachments

• F9EBA04F-768F-4359-997D-D406C180C959.jpeg
    F9EBA04F-768F-4359-997D-D406C180C959.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 13
. What are you counting as day 1? The day you set them under the hen is day 0. If you counted it as day 1, then subtract a day. They can take longer than 21 days. This is the earliest you might see a pip. Give them time....
Good luck, I look forward to updates!

. What are you counting as day 1? The day you set them under the hen is day 0. If you counted it as day 1, then subtract a day. They can take longer than 21 days. This is the earliest you might see a pip. Give them time....
Good luck, I look forward to updates!
yes, the day i set them under is day zero they were set under there the twelfth of june so today would be day twenty. but anyways momma got up to get water and went straight back um and i believe one is begging to break through!! it doesn’t appear to be peeping or making noise though.. but maybe in time. thank you for your help!

today is day 20 of the eggs my speckled sussex hen has been sitting on. shes been a very patient momma even in this hot weather we have been getting. she’s currently sitting on 8-10 eggs i’m not sure how many exactly. i’ve never incubated eggs in an incubator nor using a broody hen. and from what i’ve learned the chicks should’ve been pipping by now. i candled an egg this morning and the chick is moving around inside looking just fine. the air cell takes up about 1/4th of the egg. is it possible they aren’t on day 20? should i start getting worried?
i added a picture below of the egg i was able to candle.
I just had 2 hens sitting on eggs from same source. One had her first chick on day 21 and the last on day 23 The other Hen hatched her first chick onn day 24 aand her last on day 26 I have not seen such a long delay before. Also a neighbour had a hen sit with her first chick coming on day 21 and then yesterday Day 25 there were 4 eggs left which we checked in water and 2 had movement We put them back under her and this morning 1 more had hatched.. I am a little surprised but If anyone has broody hens just on dy 20 then dont worry.. some take a few days more and certainly its usuaally 21 for the first chick to appear :) Good luck with your hatching everyone

I just had 2 hens sitting on eggs from same source. One had her first chick on day 21 and the last on day 23 The other Hen hatched her first chick onn day 24 aand her last on day 26 I have not seen such a long delay before. Also a neighbour had a hen sit with her first chick coming on day 21 and then yesterday Day 25 there were 4 eggs left which we checked in water and 2 had movement We put them back under her and this morning 1 more had hatched.. I am a little surprised but If anyone has broody hens just on dy 20 then dont worry.. some take a few days more and certainly its usuaally 21 for the first chick to appear :) Good luck with your hatching everyone
ahh thank you very much. i see that now, one of the four remaining eggs hatched this morning bringing our count up to six. :)

Back
Top Bottom