Eggs of all different stages. What to do?

Ladies Love Cool Chicks

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2021
We have a broody. I should have moved her to the chick pen long ago but it had to be fixed up and I got busy. Honestly I didn’t think she’d hatch any. We have only one rooster to 33 hens and this hen is very flighty.
Well I went to candle her eggs today and i thought I would be chucking them all and having to break her of her broodiness or buy her a couple chicks to raise. She had one fuzzy one, one pipped, one that’s completely dark inside, so I’m guessing 18+ days. Then three others of varying ages, I would guess 7 to 14 days. So we have the brood pen/chick pen all set up but what is the best way to go about this? I didn’t want to move the pipped egg (I did pick it up before I saw the pip but I didn’t turn it at all) she has to be moved or the hatched chick will fall quite a ways once she takes it out. I would guess it probably hatched yesterday as it’s still pretty wobbly to walk.
Then there’s the matter of the other eggs. I have an incubator that we will be getting ready tonight but I can’t put varying stages of eggs in can I? I thought that was a no-no?
Oh and she is very aggressive when you go anywhere near her so I want to move her quick and not touch her again so as not to hurt the chicks/eggs she is on.

The best chance to hatch those eggs is the incubator. Not ideal but, better than the hen for eggs at different stages. I would suggest a moderate humidity so moisture can be lost but enough humidity for hatching. Maybe 50? The other way would be to get a second incubator at use one for hatching and one for eggs with less development. You can leave eggs that are pipped with the hen if you want to.

So I went out tonight to move her to the new safer nest and she lifted her wing while attacking me to reveal a wet little black cheeping head. It’s probably the one that had pipped earlier so I’m letting her be for tonight and tomorrow I will move her and (fingers crossed) the two babies. The rest I will put in the incubator and wait and see. I do have two incubators, as I accidentally bought two, but I wanted to sell the unopened one. Not sure if I want to open it for eggs that may or may not hatch. We’ve only hatched eggs once before and only one hatched. This flighty as hell hen already has a better success rate than we do. Good lesson that nature knows better than humans do.

Oh my lanta! My husband just informed me that there is another hen, red rock cross, that has been hiding behind a desk under the nesting boxes. I go look and sure enough there she is growling and fluffing up at me. Who knows how long she has been there for! Not only that but she is so far back and hard to reach to see what she’s got under her. Good grief.

A little update. Momma and her two babies are doing great out in the run. One of my 6 eggs was way far ahead of the others. I estimated day 16 ish but I’m the furthest thing from an expert. It took me a good 24 hours to get the temp right in the incubator and the eggs were already in it so once again I assumed nothing would survived. But I still kept turning and yesterday I candled. The one had made an internal pip, crap crap crap I shouldn’t have been opening the incubator and turning it all day. I quickly upped the humidity and put them into lockdown. Surely with so many mistakes it won’t survive. This morning an external pip and 8 hours later after a quick zip....

Attachments

• 0CD07901-9165-4D86-BFB3-D919E597A180.jpeg
    0CD07901-9165-4D86-BFB3-D919E597A180.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom