eggs on coop floor, don't know when they laid

mom'sfolly :

Eggs stay fresh an amazingly long time without refrigeration....which really makes me wonder about store bought eggs.

No need to wonder. The date they were collected is printed on the end of the egg carton. Not the date we recognize, like Nov. 18, but a julian calendar date, probably around 320 or so today. Julian calendar is numbering all the days of the year from 1 to 365, starting with Jan. 1.​

wow, i didn't realize that about not being refrigerated, i used to work in a restaurant and remember the board of health didn't like seeing a flat of eggs on the counter by the grill. thanks for all of the info.

since friday last week, my egg total is now 14 counting the broken one, i have 12 hens, RIR's, Dominiques, comets, i think that only 3 maybe 4 are laying right now, all are 24 wks.

mom'sfolly :

When I have found large hidden nests, I've done the float test. After a two week vacation, I found fifteen eggs. They had been laid in the Texas heat. Everyone of them sank, and they tasted mighty fine. Eggs stay fresh an amazingly long time without refrigeration....which really makes me wonder about store bought eggs.

I just found a hidden nest with 12 eggs in it that may be up to 8-9 days old that have been in Fla heat. Every one of them sank but aint NO WAY i'm eatin one of them. Straight to the hogs with that bunch. You are brave​

i ate the four that were in question myself, they were fine, but i didn't want my family to eat them just in case, plus i wanted to be the first to eat our fresh or not so fresh chicken eggs. haha. they were just fine, i made a pulled pork bbq omelette with colby jack cheese. wow it was good, never had bbq omelette. try it.

Back
Top Bottom