Eggs on Eggs in Bator?

cattbird

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Essex Uk
I have an incubator that holds 7-8 small eggs.

Someone has taken pity on my recent hatching mess up and given me 6 black mini Silkie eggs, she says she is not sure if they are fertile as the last batch sent out was 100% infertile, but rather than eat she would send to me.. for free
big_smile.png
They were put in bator yesterday (Sunday)

I have purchased 6 white mini Silkie eggs, due to arrive tomorrow (Tuesday) So be batorised Wednesday...

Could I put the white eggs on top of the blacks until I know if any of the blacks were fertile? How soon could I tell. Obviously I don't want to jeapordise all of the eggs chances and if all are fertile I would quickly get another bator, it would never be for more than a few days!

What do you think??

Hmmm... I don't know definitively, but my understanding is they are supposed to be in a single layer--it is how the mother hen would do it. But maybe someone on here has tried it successfully--I just don't know. Can you get another 'bator before Wednesday? Sounds like you're going to need a larger incubator!
big_smile.png

I do put eggs on top of each other in my incubator. I put another wire mesh layer on top of the actual one and it works good. I usually put the next batch of hacthing eggs on the top layer and put quail eggs in with the chickens' too. It works out for me...
thumbsup.gif

For hatching quail, we put a wire shelf on top of the chicken eggs so we don't have to switch bators. I bet it would work, but how would you turn them?

Back
Top Bottom