Eggs overdue

Silly Indie

Chirping
Jul 3, 2020
Hello! We put two eggs under one of the broody hens three weeks ago with the hopes that we’d be able to get a chick out of one of the favorite hens who passed a day earlier. Well fast forward three weeks, these eggs were due to hatch yesterday and they didn’t, at first I thought, “Oh, they’ll probably hatch overnight and surprise us in the morning”… no they didn’t, so I candled them and the chicks are still alive as I saw them moving but they’ve made no attempt to hatch and I’m beginning to worry. The air cells in those eggs are huge! Especially in the Andalusian egg. I’ve never seen one so big, it takes up almost half the egg. The other egg’s air cell is big but not like the other one. Not sure if that’s something to be concerned about or not, another thing is the broody hen is one that I don’t funny trust as she is kinda high strung but she “helped”another broody incubate and it hatched so I thought she’d handle this fine. I’m not sure what to do, I want these eggs to hatch since we’ve been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the chicks but I’ve never had eggs go over their due date with no signs of hatching. Any ideas?

Top Bottom