Eggs rolling around

croach510

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Quinton, Va
Every time I turn my eggs in the bator I have a hard time keeping them from rolling around. I have them laying on the screen in the bottom and hand turn them. Im also afraid when I put them in lockdown the will roll and the chicks will have a hard time getting in position. Any ideas on how to keep them stable?
barnie.gif

Putting them on a paper towel during lockdown helps to keep them in place, aswell as helps with clean up, or you could put them in an eggcarton. My opinion - don't worry about it. They're gonna be kicked around like footballs when the first one pops out, and I've actually turned until I heard peeping and had almost 100% hatch rate (Ofcoarse, this was my first time incubating...I didn't know a thing)
big_smile.png
I have chicks in my incubator right now kicking my eggs that still have 3 days left to go! Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I thnk im going to try the paper towel. I have already lost to hatchs and I cant pin down what im doing wrong. Seems the less I try to make everythng right, the better results I have. I hatched 5 chicks using a heat light and had no clue what I was doing and they did fine. Didnt turn them, no humidity, nothing. Guess I got lucky.
ya.gif

Wow! That IS lucky! It's so weird, but I was thinking the same. Everytime I plan things out, and take every precaution, something bad happens. When I go with the flow, and dont pay much attention, I have good luck!

If you want something that's even better than paper towel, I highly recommend you get grip mat, which is shelf liner. You can get it from Walmart. It has little holes in it and is a soft, stretchy material. I use it when I hatch because it gives the babies good grip. Good luck!

Okay got the grip mat. Eggs going into lockdown at 4pm. Got the humidity up to 65-70%. Gonna check the humidity 2 times aday and just keep walking away. Not gonna stress until 2 days after hatch date.
fl.gif
Im sure the last 2 hatchs I worried and fooled with the humdity to much. Constantly checking everythng......

Went to get my babies ready for lockdown and low and behold....I have peeping going on.
love.gif
thumbsup.gif
I have been so disappointed with my last to attempts at hatching. I an so excited.... It figures the ones I havent really payed that much attention to are doing great.. Im waiting with fingers and toes crossed...
fl.gif

The mats are a great idea!! Never thought of that, Now I know what I'm using my left over shelf liner for :)
You should post pictures when your babies get here! Sending good prayers and wishes!

Got up this morning and Stella has arrived.
wee.gif
So excited. Got 2 more in lockdown but when I candled all 3 on day 18, these 2 didnt seem to be as far along as Sella. Will post pics when she is dry and fluffed up. Thanks for all the advice.

This is Baby Stella. The only one out of 5 eggs to hatch. She is small and fiesty. Ive been mothering her since she has no siblings. Ask you can see she thinks shes a person.

Back
Top Bottom