Eggs rotten / pass float test?

jus10inla

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
Louisiana
My girls lay around 5-8 eggs a day, and i collect about once a week to encourage broodiness. ive never had a problem until now. Broight eggs inside, sat on counter for maybe 3 or 4 days . Wife grabbed a few for breakfast, 2 out of 3 basically looked pre scrambled in the pan, like yolk had busted. Had a weird texture to it and a few blood spots.

that night i cleaned all the eggs to get ready for fridge / give away, (i mix about a tablespoon of distilled vinegar with warm water) and use a toothbrush to clean off any leftover debris. Next day was same problem. Note, its not like it is one hen / egg color so rule out any sickness.

i always submerge them in water and let them soak while cleaning, none have ever floated. Is it possible they got too hot these last few days and cooked internally? Temps are in the 90s / heat index over 100 daily . I know im supposed to crack them in separate bowl but this is first time in YEARS i had it like this tho. Maybe one bad egg here & there but never a whole clutch. I told the other people i gave eggs to crack then separate so they don’t ruin anything.

i might just toss these 6 or 7 dozen to play it safe and start collecting daily again since i dont need any more chicks rite nOw..

Buy fake nest eggs to encourage broodiness and collect the real ones at least once, better twice a day in hot weather.

To avoid soiled eggs, clean the butt feathers of your hens and trim them short if the fluff tends to catch poop.
And keep your coop floor clean by using a poop board.

Buy fake nest eggs to encourage broodiness and collect the real ones at least once, better twice a day in hot weather.

To avoid soiled eggs, clean the butt feathers of your hens and trim them short if the fluff tends to catch poop.
And keep your coop floor clean by using a poop board.
i dont have problems with soiled / poop eggs. we just clean / put up eggs differently than yall across the big pond. also i dont have a coop floor so to speak. They cant get under there roost area anyway

i will make the fake eggs again, used to drill them out then fill with a hardener / sand mixture

Back
Top Bottom