1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eggs safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdbrain5, Jan 25, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    i have young chickens that free range, they are just starting to lay. a few i got from a poultry auction, and a few from a breeder. i know most people worm thier chickens a few times a year, i have not done this. if a chicken has worms how do you know, and is it ok to eat the eggs? should i worm them all first before i eat thier eggs incase they do have worms? growing up i never remember worrying about this, and we free ranged our chickens and ate thier eggs. any advice?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I think you are fine.. unless they are having wormy poops

3. shabbyfarm

shabbyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    South central Iowa
    I don't think you should eat the eggs !! I think you should send them to me and let me [​IMG] eat the eggs !!! I wouldn't be worried about them.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The only way to know for sure is have a fecal done by a vet. It is extremely rare for a worm to get into an egg, and you would know it. I can;t imagine any other reason for not eating an egg laid by a chicken with a few worms.

Worms, like lice/mites, are universal. It is a near guarantee that your chickens have some. The question is, is it a few or a lot. There are widely varying opinions on managing them. Some feel if they are otherwise healthy they will tolerate a few. Other feel they will eventually overwhelm them and the chickens will die if they are not periodically wormed. In the end you will have to do your own research and make your own choice.

Chickens can and do die from worms without one ever being seen in the poop. You need a microscope and some training to identify them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2011
  5. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Eat them, they will be very nutritious and tasty. If you do worm them at any point in time, check the product you use and see if there is an egg withdrawel period.

6. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    No worries my friend.... worms cant transfer into the eggs!

7. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    awesome, thanks everyone! i hate them all tonight! i think i recognize the "disc" ive heard talk of when the eggs are fertile. interesting!

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Impressed by your answer. Yes, some gut fauna are normal in most species, including humans in some parts of the world. It only becomes a problem when the population overwhelmes the host system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by