Eggs/Shipping distance

Cason

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
Green City, MO (North Mo.)
Are eggs shipped (what distance + - ) less viable than those within your state? I know pick up is probably the very best method of transportation, but how far is "too far"? I'm sick of failed or weak hatches, and am thinking it may be best to ONLY purchase eggs within a certain mileage.

I have found the distance doesn't matter as much as how long it takes. I had eggs shipped from CA to ME do better than PA to ME and I have had a 100% hatch from the midwest. I got eggs shipped from in state and got about 40%. I think the biggest factors are weather and how they were treated while in transit.
Krista

I think it all depends on how they are handled and the x-ray equipment that they go through. It seems that I have had much better luck with the eggs that don't have to board a plane to get here because they forego the x-ray's. That might just be my opinion, but I think the x-rays really screw things up on top of how the eggs have been handled by the P.O.

Last edited:
It really doesnt matter what the distance is. It is what they go threw when they are in shipping. I have eggs sent from Ca to Wa. and not a one hatched. My best hatches have been from back east. Couldn't tell you why. Maybe they just handle the packages better or just less time traveling on the ground.

I've had eggs shipped from CA all the way here to SC. You can't get much further than that in the US.
tongue.png
And yes I did hatch chicks. I even had a power outage during incubation!

Back
Top Bottom