Eggs soon?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darklingstorm, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I have a drake and duck Khaki Campbell. They are roughly 16 weeks old. I caught them doing the "deed" this morning. Does this mean that eggs should be appearing soon?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Seems kinda young, but who knows I only have Muscovy and they are older before they start to lay. Mine are usually around 6 months.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    One of my runners started laying at 16 weeks. Everyone else was laying within six weeks after that, I'm pretty sure.

4. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    I'm actually observing my ducks doing the same thing now in the morning when they have clean water...only I have all hens...its weird. I think they are just acting upon instinct and that it may not necessarily imply eggs immediately... Ducks as a rule shouldn't be laying that young, it generally hurts their egg production later if they do. My 3 older ducks are all 16weeks right now, I am switching them to layer pellets this next week because I was told a 3 week lead time for high calcium would be appropriate for laying which generally begins at 18-24 weeks. Keep us posted if she does start to lay, I'm so very obsessed with anticipating their eggs, I'll probably call everybody in my family when it happens.

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    ok, so tell me if I am reading this right. Ducks like chickens will start laying around18 weeks and the Muscovies around 6 months(or 24 weeks)..is this right?? I have 30 baby Muscovies oldest around 1 month almost..and 5 mallards, 4 pekin all about 2 1/2 monts old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by