Eggs taste like Dirt?

Leisainfl

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
I have had our hens for a little over a year now and in the last five months we have noticed that one or more of them is laying what we call a "dirt egg". It has a dirt taste to the yolk. I have 1 Buff Orpington, and 3 Barred rocks. They are mostly in their run with time out on the grass every day. The plants they have access to are plumbago, weeds and grass. I feed them regular laying feed. I thought maybe there was a link to algae in the waterer and the taste but I am not sure. I fill the waterer straight from the well so I think we get algae quicker. We do wash out the bucket frequently.

Any thoughts? Should I change feed? Is there a weed, are they eating dirt?

Thanks

Leisa

This site might be helpful: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/36/off-odours-and-flavours

The
last "cause" does state that some birds are just layers of off flavored eggs - sorry. If you can trace who is laying them, maybe just feed those eggs to the dog (if you have one).
idunno.gif

Ooops forgot
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Leisa, I just don't know. I don't think I've ever heard of a taste problem like that. I've been waiting to see if anyone else had an answer for you.

It is interesting that it's just one of the chickens and not all of them. Either that chicken has some biological difference or she eats something that the others don't. Chickens are always so keen to eat anything one of the others has, I'm inclined to think it isn't something she's eating.

welcome-byc.gif
, I can't add anything about the taste of the eggs, but I can tell you that a little apple cider vineger in the water does wonders for keeping water algae free.

Did you ever fix your dirt in the egg problem? I was looking if i could find a reason why my eggs suddenly started tasting like dirt too. My girls are a year old now and i don't know the reason. It's gross though.

my eggs taste like dirt too.... i have been trying to figure it out for a year... im at a loss and miss my good eggs.. =(

Back
Top Bottom