Eggs, then no eggs??

blessedchickenmama7

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Western NC
My girls finally started laying around the end of October. I was getting approximately 2-3 eggs a day from 6 hens. One day I got 4. Now, for the last 2-3 weeks, NOTHING!!!

The girls are all late March hatches. That makes them almost 9 months old. Anybody else with this issue? I'm ok if they are just waiting til spring and are gonna crank back up. But I think they are too young to molt and it seems like they never really started good and now this. I probably got a total of 3-4 dozen eggs before production slowed to 1 or 2 eggs every few days and then stopped.

Their diet is layer pellets. Occasional treats, but not very often because I've read it can interfere with them not getting enough protein. I have not moved their coop or done anything else that would otherwise stress them. Just can't figure these girls out!

The first thing I would do would be check their coop/pen for an egg eating predator: small possum, rat, snake. The second thing I'd do is divide the girls into two groups and see if you find eggs from one group and not the other...that will help you discover if you have an egg eater. Third, it could just be the weather. Chickens are like that sometime.

Back
Top Bottom