Eggs under hen at day 23

Stopthemad

Hatching
Sep 3, 2018
This is a first time for both mama bird and me.... any help will be super appreciated! My orphington went broody for her what seemed like millionth time so I got her 8 fertilized eggs. Within the first week 3 were damaged.
On day 21 one chick started to hatch and by day 22 there was one chick and one starting to hatch. Now on day 23 the one is still only half hatched. I candled this am but it was really hard to tell.... one has a crack so I put it far under mama bird. Two have nothing. They are blue eggs so it was hard to see but it looked like a large air pocket and a dark area. One sloshed when I lightly shook it.
What does a full term green egg look like candled? What do I do about the one that’s half cracked? It was not under mama when I went out and not really warm. It’s like she keeps kicking that one out. Should I leave it and trust she knows something is wrong with it? I can’t see it breathing but I see a little movement (at first I thought it was ants or the like but it could be circulation in the chick)

This is a first time for both mama bird and me.... any help will be super appreciated! My orphington went broody for her what seemed like millionth time so I got her 8 fertilized eggs. Within the first week 3 were damaged.
On day 21 one chick started to hatch and by day 22 there was one chick and one starting to hatch. Now on day 23 the one is still only half hatched. I candled this am but it was really hard to tell.... one has a crack so I put it far under mama bird. Two have nothing. They are blue eggs so it was hard to see but it looked like a large air pocket and a dark area. One sloshed when I lightly shook it.
What does a full term green egg look like candled? What do I do about the one that’s half cracked? It was not under mama when I went out and not really warm. It’s like she keeps kicking that one out. Should I leave it and trust she knows something is wrong with it? I can’t see it breathing but I see a little movement (at first I thought it was ants or the like but it could be circulation in the chick)
It is very possible that she keeps kicking the egg out because the poor chick died. I would want to get a closer look at it. The "sloshing" egg is no good. Other than that, :confused: I'm so sry for your troubled hatch.

Back
Top Bottom