Eggs under Runner hen are glossy!

FenDruadin

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Charlotte, NC Area
I had to pull some eggs into the house this morning--my "broody" Runner hen gave up on the eggs this morning. I guess she got tired of me picking her up to gather the fresh eggs under her each morning, and finally just quit. I gave her 20 minutes to come back and when she didn't, I gathered the eggs and stuck them in the incubator.

I'm amazed at the difference in the incubator eggs versus the hen eggs. I've never hatched under a hen before, so I never thought about how the oils in her feathers would affect the eggs. But there's a big difference. The eggs that have been in the incubator have dry, rough shells. Those that were under the hen are smooth and glossy. It's seems so obvious now--her feathers are full of oils from her gland, so that would rub off on the eggs. I imagine it's really, really good for them.

One of the six that were under her looks dead, though--I think it's a blood ring. The others look great. I'll be interested to see if there are any differences over the incubation period from eggs that have never been under a hen. They were under her for four days.

I noticed that about my ducks eggs also. My swedish mix is broody right now (should be done at the end of the month
celebrate.gif
) anyways the eggs under her are glossy and shinny. Before she went broody I woudl take the eggs every other day from her and they weren't as glossy.

I am interested to see how they hatch out. I will be watching to see how it goes.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom