Eggs vanishing with no trace. Need ideas.

Everything is torn apart this week as we do new coop renovations, so no update.

Funny people are mentioning people stealing the eggs. My husband asked if the neighbors groundskeepers and maid could be sneaking through the woods to take them, as their outdoor storage where they hang out is only about 30 feet away from the coop through the trees. I thought that was a far fetched idea - surprised to see people posting that happened to them!

It was everything but funny. The same woman decimated my chicken flock and my guinea flock. (see an earlier post) I hope you're not saying you doubt this. Perhaps I should get the sheriffs report????? There are some sick people in this world. We happened to be the victim of one of them. It was devastating to us. We had been nothing but good to this person. And yes, sneaking through your property with a flashlight at 1 AM at night and getting caught by the sheriff does exist. The fear of seeing someone roaming your property at night, someone doing this, then finding out it's someone you know. Bah, despicable. making fun of it is not the way to go. Sorry. I had to say this. Making fun of it is hurtful.

It was everything but funny. The same woman decimated my chicken flock and my guinea flock. (see an earlier post) I hope you're not saying you doubt this. Perhaps I should get the sheriffs report????? There are some sick people in this world. We happened to be the victim of one of them. It was devastating to us. We had been nothing but good to this person. And yes, sneaking through your property with a flashlight at 1 AM at night and getting caught by the sheriff does exist. The fear of seeing someone roaming your property at night, someone doing this, then finding out it's someone you know. Bah, despicable. making fun of it is not the way to go. Sorry. I had to say this. Making fun of it is hurtful.
I don't think anyone is making fun of it. Sounds like OP is just surprised to find out that people actually do that to others. I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you've been able to build your flocks back up

I don't think anyone is making fun of it. Sounds like OP is just surprised to find out that people actually do that to others. I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you've been able to build your flocks back up

Thank you. Actually, we're still feeling the aftermath. Even years later. What's hurtful is that this woman is on chicken groups that I visit and I keep seeing her name. She's here too. And no, I will never say her name because I think she was punished by having her name and reputation here destroyed because of her arrest. So that must have been hard for her too. I would have liked it though if she had tried to make reparations for all the eggs she stole and chickens that died because of her. oh well, I know I need to get over this. Sorry for ranting. And thanks everyone for your understanding.

Everything is torn apart this week as we do new coop renovations, so no update.

Funny people are mentioning people stealing the eggs. My husband asked if the neighbors groundskeepers and maid could be sneaking through the woods to take them, as their outdoor storage where they hang out is only about 30 feet away from the coop through the trees. I thought that was a far fetched idea - surprised to see people posting that happened to them!
I have had people steal eggs in the past a couple of times but not out of my coop but out of the cooler I keep them in to sell. A family member with a drug problem did steal money out of the cookie jar several times. I have them on camera. They did end up in jail and no more thefts. Still curious if the OP has found out where their eggs went.

I have had people steal eggs in the past a couple of times but not out of my coop but out of the cooler I keep them in to sell. A family member with a drug problem did steal money out of the cookie jar several times. I have them on camera. They did end up in jail and no more thefts. Still curious if the OP has found out where their eggs went.

So sorry for that. It being a family member must have been totally devastating. I was intrigued by your profile picture. Can you tell me about it?

Eggs are disappearing here. Here are the details, need ideas:

Chickens are not reacting or screaming at all to whatever is entering coop.

I left a clutch of 3 eggs in the coop all week and we made sure to lock it up each night - nothing was taken.

Whatever is taking them goes in precisely between 7 am when my husband lets them out, and 12 when I check on them. All 3 large eggs gone again without a trace - no yolks or breakage.

We have been checking the coop like crazy, often 3 times a day looking for snakes. Monitoring it from a distance out the window 10 times a day hoping to see something coming or going - nothing. Nothing up in the rafters or hiding.

This area is snake infested. But I have no idea how a snake is doing it with the coop being heavily watched - and snakes are slow and tend to hang out while they eat.

I plan on buying a live trap and filling it with eggs, but can a live trap even catch a large snake if it is a snake?

What else could it be that is that stealthy and invisible, taking a whole clutch of eggs at once?[/QUOTE I put two or three moth balls every four days during spring and summer for pests. And it doesn't bother my girls at all. I also have a game cam ,motion sensor lights and mirrors all facing out.

I did not say your situation was funny. I meant it as "funny you mention that as my husband just wondered if a person was taking them..." funny, like a coincidence this happened to you...

Back
Top Bottom