Eggs with differant hatch dates, same incubator?!?!?!?

Quote:
Thank you! I have an auto turner that I can take some of the things out, I will figure a way to make a fence to separate them!

I have a staggered hatch as well. I have the auto turner so I plan to take out the extra trays. Luckily I only have 1 egg that is due before the rest but im still nervous about the later eggs and humidity. Please keep us updated on how it goes for you
smile.png

Quote:
I had that issue, put the egg in a deli cup (with a few holes) on top of the eggs in the auto turner, I added some damp paper towel to up the humidity in the deli cup and all went fine.

Quote:
I had that issue, put the egg in a deli cup (with a few holes) on top of the eggs in the auto turner, I added some damp paper towel to up the humidity in the deli cup and all went fine.

Thats a great idea! Maybe it is because I'm sleepy but, why do I put the deli cup on top of the eggs? Wouldnt it knock itself over when it trys to hatch? I will be home all hatch day but I may have to work on Monday, leaving the egg alone in the bator and no one to watch over it. My boss knows how important this is to me so she said as long as I dont have a full workload I can take Monday off
smile.png

Im calling it an evening... Good Night

If you use the same incubator for whole thing when you raise the humidity way up for the first hatching batch you could drown the second batch! I am doing a major staggered hatching and I would not risk it! I went out asap and got the second one so they all have a great shot at hatching with no issues!

Quote:

Thats a great idea! Maybe it is because I'm sleepy but, why do I put the deli cup on top of the eggs? Wouldnt it knock itself over when it trys to hatch? I will be home all hatch day but I may have to work on Monday, leaving the egg alone in the bator and no one to watch over it. My boss knows how important this is to me so she said as long as I dont have a full workload I can take Monday off
smile.png

I guess I wasn't totally clear, I was in a hova-bator with 42 eggs in the auto turner so I didn't have space for it anyplace but on top of the other eggs, if you do, all the better. Also, by doing this you will address the humidity issues, both with giving the one on lockdown enough and not overdoing the others.

Quote:
One point to make about drowning: Chicks don't start breathing air until day 20 or so, just before hatching when they pip internally into the air cell. And if you think about how drowning occurs, it's when you inhale water instead of air. And if you're not breathing air yet, you can't actually drown, can you? So you can't 'drown' chicks/embryos that are on days 1-18 of incubation simply because they aren't yet breathing air. Any drowning that's going to occur will only happen in the last stages of the incubation, so even if they're exposed to a too-high humidity for a few days, you CAN counter the effects of that by dropping the humidity extra low for another few days to compensate. A steady humidity isn't as important as a steady temperature, and as long as the overall moisture loss by the end of the incubation is within the recommended 11-14% weight loss, the chicks should not drown.

Last edited:
Okay, stupid question... if you have a broody, why not put the newer eggs under her and let her hatch them? Then you won't have to buy another incubator? Just asking.

Quote:
smile.png

I guess I wasn't totally clear, I was in a hova-bator with 42 eggs in the auto turner so I didn't have space for it anyplace but on top of the other eggs, if you do, all the better. Also, by doing this you will address the humidity issues, both with giving the one on lockdown enough and not overdoing the others.

Perfect!! I will have plenty of room for the little chick when it hatches and will still have my turner in. Im hoping it hatches early on sunday so it has plenty of time to get fluffed up and dry before I go to work. Thanks for your help guys. I'll be sure to post pictures when things start happening
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom