1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs with fishy taste!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lonnie, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Lonnie

Lonnie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2008
    Central Illinois
    Hi Folks, The past three times that I've eaten fried eggs. I can taste fish. I feel like gagging. I fry them in bacon grease only. Has this ever happen to anyone else? Lonnie

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    California
    What are you feeding them? I've heard too much flax can make eggs taste fishy.

3. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    That would be awful..blaechhhh.[​IMG]

Must be something they are eating, are they free range birds? Maybe look around your property for a source.

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Have you been feeding them lots of fish or flax?

5. 920utlaw

920utlaw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Chicago
    The "fertile eggs"I bought from whole foods had that taste. I thought it was just because they were fertile.

6. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    We used to buy eggs from a co-op when I was growing up, and suddenly the taste turned fishy. As it turned out, they had switched to fish meal as the primary feed. I would wonder if the eggs you got were from birds who were fed such a protein feed.

7. BayChicks

BayChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Reedville
    Our eggs taste like this in the spring - right now as a matter of fact. They're eating the same feed, but they hardly touch it for foraging in the yard. I'm guessing that it's the one particular weed that is taking over our grass. They eat it all day long. When it gets hot and this weed dies back, the eggs begin to taste normal again. It's a high omega-3 taste. Fish taste like fish because of the omegas. The higher the omegas, the "fishier" the fish. (experience: waterman's daughter, waterman's wife) [​IMG]
    I can't stand the taste - yuck! I usually leave the eggs out on the counter for a day or two before refrigerating, and I suspect that this is making the taste even stronger, so I'm going to try gathering eggs throughout the day and refrigerating them right away.

1 person likes this.
  8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Definitely not because they were fertile. That makes no difference in flavor unless the eggs were beginning to develop but you'd know that as soon as you cracked them.

What the hens are eating can have a major influence on flavor which is what I suspect is the case here.

.....Alan.

9. Debbie Tornq

Debbie Tornq New Egg

Sep 7, 2013
    OMG ! I was so upset when I tasted the yuckie, curdled, fishey tasting eggs I got scared. Especially when I have a weak immune system. Right away I thought I'd get sick and ran to the computer thinking I had Seminole poisoning or something worse. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE...EVER...! I was so glad to hear I wasn't the only one that has gone thru this. I threw all the eggs out, sprayed with a disinfectant, washed the entire kitchen counters...ect...put all the fans on in the house and will NEVER forget that taste as long as I live.
    I cannot thank you all enough for your posting it TRULY helped put my mind at ease. Any ideas of how I can now get the taste out of my mouth? I know I'll never get it out of my mind and it will take me quite a while before I put an egg in my mouth again..and I buy Free Range, Organic Cage free (sometimes Omega added) eggs.
    Thanks again. Deb

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Something not mentioned is that eggs have a porous shell. If you store them next to something like fish in the fridge for example, thy can absorb that smell.

I’m not arguing about what they eat making a difference. It can. But how they are stored can make a difference too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by