1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs with yucky fluid on the outside

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nu2chixinmo, Apr 27, 2007.

1. nu2chixinmo

nu2chixinmo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2007
    Sturgeon, MO
    Bare with me, I am new to this, as my username states.

A friend of mine has some Araunca hens that lay beautiful colored eggs, just recently one of them has laid the eggs with a fluid sac on the outside of the egg.... What is the cause of this, and is it normal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    One of my Ameraucana hens laid an egg like this a while back. I was never able to find out what it was, or what caused it. She's not laid another like it since. Maybe you'll be able to find the answers that I could not.

3. JamesC

JamesC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    It's a very unusual thing, but sometimes a fully formed egg will travel back inside the oviduct were to where the albumen and membranes are deposited. It's possible to have an egg laid that has a complete egg inside of it. In this case there was no shell deposited, just some albumen and a membrane.
    I'm sure it's not a problem, just a one time occurrance.

James

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Wow, the things one learns here!
    I had never heard of that happening. [​IMG]
    Thanks, JamesC, I'll file that away and hope I don't have it happen with one of my chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by