Eggs! Yayyyy!

CoopedUpChicken

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Hi,
Our hens have been laying for the past month! We got our first jumbo a couple of days ago. Most of our breeds are supposed to be laying large eggs, but for the most part they are small-medium sized. Is this normal when they first start to lay?

We have buff orpingtons (2), andalusians (4), anconas (2), delaware (2), barred plymouth rock (1)
(1 silike and 1 cochin which I know will be laying on the smaller side and haven't started laying yet)

In the beginning, we had 3 eggs on the coop floor over a week period - but since then they exclusively use their nest boxes.

I keep them unwashed and in the fridge.

Is there anything else I need to know to help them with their egg production?

Thanks!!!

The eggs will slowly enlarge over the season and the eggshell will become more brittle, make sure you offer free choice oyster shells. Production will go up and down over the season, things like weather and stress will affect them, so don't get too concerned if they slow down, the season will end next year around this time when they stop laying to molt and recover, they will start up again as the daylight lengthens, laying less and less as they get older.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom