Eggs zipping!

Thanks guys..yea i put some nutri drench in water and gave 1 some by mouth yesterday, didnt know i should add grit also at so young but i have some (the finer baby grit is what I use, my duck prefers it) so i will add to their food, i dont think they are as active as yesterday, but that could be cause they werw so anxious and excited to get out of bator, they were hungry they picked for hours walking around peeping but today not so much, so im gonna head outside and do my cats then come back in and give them each a dose of nutri drench, thats not a problem right? I figured approx .2cc should be ok. So upset about the eggs, but yes i knew there was a risk...i guess i have to learn to candle better as i should have known..but this is 1st hatch..in gonna check the little blue egg that i cracked before u get rid of them all..thanks again!

Yes they are in the house right next to the incubator so the eggs can still hear them incase that helps at all with stimulation of the rest of the eggs. I also went and got a heat lamp bulb, as the regular 100 watt bulb wouldnt get the brooder over about 80, the brooder is on the floor which may have been why..the heat lamp is good, the temp reading about 90 and really is about as low to them as it can go, so i placed a small basket in the corner on its side like a little hut and put some clean straw in that like a little nest, they love it and are using it to rest, but they seem to be very comfy and the temperature they're at, they walk around playing, eating and drinking fine, sometimes they just plop right down where they are standing and nap, sometimes they go into the little hut, i will be sleeping in the living room with them so i will keep a close eye but i dont think i can it any warmer in there but i don't think they need it any hotter going by how they are acting, they seem perfect! Im concerned about the other 7 eggs as i have seen no movement and ive heard no pips, its just 21 days today, i hardly lost any degrees or humidity when i grabbed out the chicks &broken shells as i had a hot wet sponge there ready to go and threw it in 1st then did what i needed to do, it never got below65%and was back up to 75%within like 2 minutes, never got below 99 and was back up to 101-102 quickly so i think im good with the opening of it i dont think that will ne an issue with the rest. These guys were hungry, they ate and drank right away, so smart i showed them each once in the food then water and as soon as chick #1 (the leader) started chowing down they all followed...so adorable i just love them! Of course my high prey drive pit wants to eat them, so she will be loving with her electronic collar in for now! U don't even need to use it once it's on she knows what it does and doesn't make mistakes..lol
Sounds like you have everything under control!! Enjoy those littles , they dont stay little near long enough ..;)
Thanks guys..yea i put some nutri drench in water and gave 1 some by mouth yesterday, didnt know i should add grit also at so young but i have some (the finer baby grit is what I use, my duck prefers it) so i will add to their food, i dont think they are as active as yesterday, but that could be cause they werw so anxious and excited to get out of bator, they were hungry they picked for hours walking around peeping but today not so much, so im gonna head outside and do my cats then come back in and give them each a dose of nutri drench, thats not a problem right? I figured approx .2cc should be ok. So upset about the eggs, but yes i knew there was a risk...i guess i have to learn to candle better as i should have known..but this is 1st hatch..in gonna check the little blue egg that i cracked before u get rid of them all..thanks again!
Make sure they have a cool place in the brooder for when they need to get away from the warmth. If they get too warm they sometimes look a bit lazy amd seem to want to stretch out an sleep more..;)
Hope the blue eggs hatches! :fl accidents happen to the best of us, dont feel bad about it!:hugs
And yep, I saw lots of duds in those egg pics too. Keep trying tho, the more you practice, the more ya learn and the better you'll get at it! :highfive:

Sounds like you have everything under control!! Enjoy those littles , they dont stay little near long enough ..;)

Make sure they have a cool place in the brooder for when they need to get away from the warmth. If they get too warm they sometimes look a bit lazy amd seem to want to stretch out an sleep more..;)
Hope the blue eggs hatches! :fl accidents happen to the best of us, dont feel bad about it!:hugs
And yep, I saw lots of duds in those egg pics too. Keep trying tho, the more you practice, the more ya learn and the better you'll get at it! :highfive:

Yes i think u may be right, i think they are too warm, i moved the brooder to a counter lastnite due to our dog & i figured qould be warmer on counter and they were very very active on the floor, on the counter not so much, kitchen to confined i think...i just moved back to the floor, made the light higher and they are starting to move around more, they were too warm, the thermometer in with them read over 100, but on the floor it was only about 90, i think they are better with less heat. Didnt see any pasty butt, but i will check them all again thoroughly right now when i pop them some vitamins, added chick grit to their food, gonna give them fresh cold water with vitamins again also..thanks again..im so nervous with them, they are so itty bitty, and soooo adorable! We wanted about a dozen, so i guess i need more eggs now, i hate to mess them up again, but im leary to add some from tractor supply as i only have 1 brooder & cant keep them separate for quarantine, do not want to bring in bad stuff to my babies!

Yes i think u may be right, i think they are too warm, i moved the brooder to a counter lastnite due to our dog & i figured qould be warmer on counter and they were very very active on the floor, on the counter not so much, kitchen to confined i think...i just moved back to the floor, made the light higher and they are starting to move around more, they were too warm, the thermometer in with them read over 100, but on the floor it was only about 90, i think they are better with less heat. Didnt see any pasty butt, but i will check them all again thoroughly right now when i pop them some vitamins, added chick grit to their food, gonna give them fresh cold water with vitamins again also..thanks again..im so nervous with them, they are so itty bitty, and soooo adorable! We wanted about a dozen, so i guess i need more eggs now, i hate to mess them up again, but im leary to add some from tractor supply as i only have 1 brooder & cant keep them separate for quarantine, do not want to bring in bad stuff to my babies!
Perfect!! :love
Dont fret over em.. you're doing great with em! :hugs
And YES.. pop some more in that bator! :wee:pop

Yup @Fields Mountain Farm .. all out and about again, playing and chirping...they were too hot, they were huddled in the little basket in the back, they looked comfy but i figured they were chilly, it was the opposite they were huddling under the basket to GET AWAY from the heat not get more..so glad i asked! They are all talking again and happy...i may pop them some vitamins for good measure if it won't hurt!

Attachments

• 15369401318381270368569551079784.jpg
    15369401318381270368569551079784.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 8
Yup @Fields Mountain Farm .. all out and about again, playing and chirping...they were too hot, they were huddled in the little basket in the back, they looked comfy but i figured they were chilly, it was the opposite they were huddling under the basket to GET AWAY from the heat not get more..so glad i asked! They are all talking again and happy...i may pop them some vitamins for good measure if it won't hurt!
Wonderfull!!!
The vitamins are a good idea!

Ok so i started going thru the eggs..2 def were gone, was was just a blob the other undeveloped..but the 3rd i think is alive but i hope i didnt kill it.it took the top near air sacs off and i hit the membrane and started seeing blood pumping .like its still alive..i moiatened the membrane with cocunut oil and sticking it back in..or should i cull it? Do they feel pain there u think?omg i messed up, never again, next time i will leave them for however ling then toss...i just didnt want to end up with a mess of rotten exploded eggs! This is the egg...its definetly still alive i see it breathing...should i leave it be? I moistened and threw in some hot wet sponges to keep humidity up..what a mess! I FEEL LIKE CRAP!!! That wasn't even 1 of the ones anyone thought was good, i didn't either when i candled it! I am candleing them 1st...but obviously I SUCK AT IT!!

Attachments

• 1536943789108484456113245134373.jpg
    1536943789108484456113245134373.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 8
You should at least leave it in the incubator for 2 or 3 days later than due date just in case.... there really is no rush to toss out eggs that you might think is still viable, I don't know why people toss their eggs only to find out the chick was still alive. Anyway, it seems like you might have pierced the membrane that's why it's bleeding out? All you can do now is just put it back in the incubator and pray for the best. It's gotten up to 22 days now (?) so there might be a chance you didn't do too much harm.

You should at least leave it in the incubator for 2 or 3 days later than due date just in case.... there really is no rush to toss out eggs that you might think is still viable, I don't know why people toss their eggs only to find out the chick was still alive. Anyway, it seems like you might have pierced the membrane that's why it's bleeding out? All you can do now is just put it back in the incubator and pray for the best. It's gotten up to 22 days now (?) so there might be a chance you didn't do too much harm.

Yes i put it back in, i moistened the membrane with cocnut oil and made sure temp and humidity good...1st and last time i ever do that..only did it cause i know one is rotten and didnt want it to explode.i posted pics of all eggs and none really looked viable..

Ok so i started going thru the eggs..2 def were gone, was was just a blob the other undeveloped..but the 3rd i think is alive but i hope i didnt kill it.it took the top near air sacs off and i hit the membrane and started seeing blood pumping .like its still alive..i moiatened the membrane with cocunut oil and sticking it back in..or should i cull it? Do they feel pain there u think?omg i messed up, never again, next time i will leave them for however ling then toss...i just didnt want to end up with a mess of rotten exploded eggs! This is the egg...its definetly still alive i see it breathing...should i leave it be? I moistened and threw in some hot wet sponges to keep humidity up..what a mess! I FEEL LIKE CRAP!!! That wasn't even 1 of the ones anyone thought was good, i didn't either when i candled it! I am candleing them 1st...but obviously I SUCK AT IT!!
OK, take a breath here. We have all been in this situation, it's crappy for sure but you mustn't beat yourself up. You had NO idea that that egg was still viable. For interest, which egg in the photos is this one? Is this the blue one?
Did you stop the bleeding when you hit the vein? Cornstarch is handy for this, just FYI in case you run into this situation again.
Did you take the rest of the eggs out of the bator?

Back
Top Bottom