Eggs

Acooper

Hatching
Aug 20, 2019
06F9FC1B-9CE5-4D7E-A0F6-192CAF52E127.jpeg
I’m currently raising four ducks I got as ducklings and they have been laying eggs for about a month. Tonight a racoon got around and almost got in their coop so I wanted to rule out one thing he could want, their eggs. I didn’t have high hopes they would be fertile since they just started laying recently and I candled them and saw no veins so I cracked them all. However three of them I cracked kind of looked like this one here pictured this was just the most intense one. The white dot and rings in the middle. Could anyone tell me if this and the others like this could of been fertile?

Any tips on what to do with the eggs coming along next? Should I let the females do their thing or take things into my own hands ?

Gather the eggs every day. Best to do it long before dusk, before the raccoons come out! I usually gather between about 3:30 and 4:00 in the afternoon, long before the shadows lengthen, at least this time of year. In winter, even earlier. Don't give the snakes, skunks or raccoons any reason to even come a-snoopin'!

Any tips on what to do with the eggs coming along next? Should I let the females do their thing or take things into my own hands ?

Well... do you want more ducks? If so, let nature take its course, assuming your ducks want to set on the eggs and hatch them out. Or you can eat the eggs, use them in baking, or sell them.

Well... do you want more ducks? If so, let nature take its course, assuming your ducks want to set on the eggs and hatch them out. Or you can eat the eggs, use them in baking, or sell them.
Thankyou for your help! I would like more ducks in the future but I’d like to get this racoon situation taken care of first because this is the first time anything has come around. I’ll gather them for now and once I know he isn’t coming back I will let my females lay and sit on them again.

:hmm He may not be that easy to get rid of, and your ducks may be at risk. You may have to trap him and dispose of him before you can feel that your birds are safe.

Back
Top Bottom