Eggs

Nikki 84

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2022
Hello,

I am wondering why my quail are not laying eggs, they have been in their new coops for 3 months now, we clean them every week to 2 weeks. We have gave them oyster shells for calcium, they get seeds and protein in their diets. Most are 3:1 or 4:1 in their pens. They have light for 14 hours. They haven't been molting in weeks and we had 3 dye with 3 or 4 eggs in them. Is there any suggestions on what is wrong?

What is their setup like? Are there any predators hanging around? How invasive is it when you clean their pen?

You might try upping the ration of hens to 5:1 in case they're being over bred.

What is their setup like? Are there any predators hanging around? How invasive is it when you clean their pen?

You might try upping the ration of hens to 5:1 in case they're being over bred.
There set up has enough room, they have food, water, and dust bath. There pens are inside the shed, so predators can't get at them. What do you mean by invasive cleaning??

We can try to change the ratio, but we are only getting a egg from our hens Mayne 1 weekly, is that normal? I don't think they are ever producing, I am worried they are under producing.

Do they have places to hide? You might stop with the seeds, since those are a treat. Treats shouldn't be more than 10% of their diet.

Overbred is not the same as over producing. If your male is too aggressive with them, that can cause stress. Anything that causes stress will stop them from laying. When I say invasive cleaning, do they get stressed out when you clean?

As @Nabiki , said, cut back or entirely cut out the seeds, feed only a balanced and complete feed. There's something creating stress on them, they could still be getting use to their surroundings or something else is in play? More hiding places may help! Do they receive enough daylight? or do you use lighting?

Back
Top Bottom