Eggs

tinapmann

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Yesterday I cooked some hard boiled eggs. When I peeled the shell, I noticed something that was imbedded in the white of the egg. It was sma, maybe 1/4"-1/2" long and looked kind of like a worm of sorts. This is the first time I have seen anything like this...advise? What is it? How to treat? Many thanks! (I have 10 hens, 0 roosters)

Quote:
Sounds like you need to worm your chickens. I recommend you worm them with valbazen (albendazole.) It is sold as a cattle and sheep wormer and kills all known worms that chickens can get including tapeworms. It can be purchased online from jeffers livestock.com or by phone from their website. Dosage is 1/2cc/ml for standard size chickens and 1/4cc/ml for smaller chickens. Valbazen is given orally and withdrawal time is 14 days.

Ours 7 hens are about 8 months would it be prudent to de-worm going into winter season after they have have everything under the sun in the garden and handouts from local grocery produce section daily!?

Thanks! I have been looking at their stool but..............................
ep.gif

Quote:
It's up to you when you want to worm them. You can worm them annually,twice a year, every 4 months and so on. It depends where you live too. If your soil is warm and moist most of the year, it is condusive for worms and their eggs. Here where I live the soil is a swampy soup for worms...I worm every 3 months. If you ever see worms in their poop, that means they have an infestation. The 2 or 3 you see in their poop, means there's thousands along with their eggs in their guts.

turtle, no I don't think what the OP saw is a meat spot; those are typically very small, and occur very close to the yolk.

If you are seeing worm(s) inside the egg, your hens are carrying a very full worm load. It might be a good idea to first worm with a milder wormer, and then go for the "big guns" of Valbazen, as suggested (it's an awesome wormer). Reason being, if they are carrying such a heavy load, a super effective wormer such as valbazen will kill so many at once it can literally clog up their system as they die off & are becoming expelled.

These are copies of 2 old posts that I saved, by Pine Grove. I consider him an expert.

Valbazen which is a cattle wormer is the best I've ever used..It kills more types of worms than all the others combined, And you don't have to worry about a massive worm kill like with piperazine or ivermectin which will sometimes clog the intestines..Valbazen slowly starves the parasites over a 2 to 5 day period..Valbazen is also used for human treatments at 400 mg child or adult..So unless you are allergic to it I'ts ok to consume the eggs after treatment, But I and all I know wait two weeks ..I'ts pricey at around $40.00 per bottle but well worth it

Dosage is 1/2 cc orally to adult large fowl.. 1/4 cc for bantams and young standard breeds
Is Ivermectin really effective for cecal or gizzard worms? Levamisol would be my choice as a water soluble..IMO Piperazine and Ivermectin has seen their better days as an effective round wormer..After wroming with everything from Red devil Lye to the old Salsbury Wormall Tablets I'm convinced that Valbazen is the most effective wormer that can be given to poultry, It even has anti-protozoa properties against Blackhead and coccidiosis...​

I had a question on the albendazole/valbazen. How do you administer it to hens? The directions on the container are for cows and sheep.

Quote:
Use a syringe without needle, draw the liquid to 1/2cc and give it to them orally... to the side of the beak for them to swallow. I just open the mouth and shoot it down their throat.

Back
Top Bottom