Eggs!

Brittanyluvsherduck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
Last night my darling Claire laid her first egg! Generally do they seem to only lay one at a time or could it be possible for her to lay more? First time duck owner here.
smile.png

one a day, although when they're first starting, they won't be that regular. because it's fall, she may or may not keep laying though the winter and she may not get up to one a day until she starts up again in the spring. all very exciting, eh?
i love duck eggs!

I was concerned that my Mallards started laying, but not every day.

Then, today, I found a nest in the backyard!

I let the eggs be. I am hoping to have babies.

I am a first-timer too. These are the Easter babies. I think they have a better chance of hatching than I do. The eggs, BTW, making me a baking genius!

What are you going to do with your eggs? What kind fo duck?

She is a rouen duck and I shouldnt have any babies because there is no male..just her. also she isnt paying any attention to the egg just letting it sit there

Quote:
that's normal.
when they first start they lay oh just wherever.
once they start to thing about being broody (IF they do) they'll organize a nest and lay in it. they won't set until they have a fair number of eggs accumulated, so nest or no, if you pull the eggs they generally won't try to brood.

expect to finds eggs all over for a while. you can provide a nest box if you like, she may or may not use it, or she might use it later. if she does, at least you'll know where the eggs are.

since you don't have a drake, pull the eggs each day.

you can add a golf ball or other fake egg or two to the nest box to encourage her to lay there. if that doesn't work, just mark one of her eggs and leave it out. eventually you'll have to replace it because it will spoil, but it helps them to understand where eggs go.

fall start of laying does not always happen, but it's not odd.

Back
Top Bottom